Sunday 15 July 2012

What is the Purpose of this Blog?

Over the past several days, I've had interactions with various people about the nature of this blog and my desire to get more involved in the conversation surrounding the Mormon church and the gospel in general. I've come to realize that I need to have specific goals in order to really get the most out of this blog. This blog needs a purpose in order to be useful to me, and I need to understand that purpose in order to get what I want out of it. This is what I've come up with:


Purpose #1: The LDS Brain will provide uplifting messages that will give strength and encouragement to members of the Church and those who want to hear our message. As I share my experience and thoughts with others, I really just hope that it helps somebody, and their life is improved because of it.


Purpose #2: The LDS Brain will clarify, to the best of my ability, concepts and misconceptions that may be confusing or controversial with regard to the Church. There are many misconceptions about the Church. They come in many forms, from the Atheist critic who says Joseph Smith was a liar, to the little old lady who heard that Cain is Bigfoot in a Sunday School class twelve years ago. I'm not a biblical scholar or a master scriptorian, but I am hoping that this will give me more motivation to become educated in some of the topics that some members either shy away from or don't understand. 


Purpose #3: The LDS Brain will, in a spirit of respect, correct lies and misconceptions that exist about the Church.  It should be noted my main intent is to help those that are open to hearing the Gospel message. I am really not interested in trading verses and getting drawn into a Bible bash. Everyone is willing to believe what they choose to believe, and I am not here to tear down other religions. I want this to be a place that we can come to an understanding about the Church together.


Purpose #4: The LDS Brain will be an open and honest look into my life, my thoughts, and my feelings. If I can't be honest about my own beliefs, I am in trouble. I hope to challenge my own testimony with this blog, and grow because of it. I will be honest and fearless is my search for truth, trusting that God will reveal his truths to me (and hopefully you as well). In approaching real issues that the Church faces head on, I hope to gain a better understanding of what God has done, is doing, and will do among the children of men.




And that's that. Its definitely a work in progress, but I think it will help to have a direction of where to go. I invite you to join with me as I study the gospel and learn. If you aren't convinced, that's alright. I hope to hear from everyone who reads the blog, and I am open to any respectful and open discussion that people want to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment